Guide to a quality solar installation
Here are a few tips to help you avoid the installers from hell, and help you choose a reputable company for a quality solar panel installation.
1. Please ensure that your installers are certified for the MCS scheme. You cannot claim feed-in tariffs if they are not.
2. Please check your company belongs to the Renewable Energy Association (REA). The REA has codes of conduct relating to your installation and quality of products including the conduct of sales people.
3. Please ensure that the company surveys your home thoroughly before giving you a quote. Avoid property surveys over the phone.
4. Please don't allow any sales person to overstay for longer than you are comfortable. The REA guidelines are a maximum of two hours.
5. Please, if you don't sign anything there and then. As a consumer you always have a seven-day cancellation period if for any reason you are unhappy.
This guide should help you avoid any unpleasant experiences and help you make a well-informed decision, to install this cost-effective and worthwhile technology on your home.
Ask your MCS solar panel installers for details.
"Solar panel installers are heroes. They tirelessly install solar panels in all conditions. I doff my cap to these skilled and hard-working individuals."
What does MCS mean?
MCS or 'Micro Certification Scheme' accreditation is the benchmark for competent solar installers.
You will require a full on-site inspection of your home for a quotation, simply because solar panels are not a one size fits all technology.
We all want the highest quality installation, so we need to ensure that unsatisfactory or poor performing companies cannot thrive and give us all a bad name! That is why the Micro Generation Certification scheme was introduced in 2009.
Installation quotes & pre-checks
Solar panels come in a variety of different types, sizes, configurations
and styles, so ensuring your property is suitable. We discuss your options
so your household or business will set the maximum benefit from solar
technology. Quotes available for all solar installation types.
What we look for:
- Roof orientation, shape, covering style and access ability for the
- For solar heating, internal plumbing factors, tank type, sizing
and compatibility are essential, with route access for additional
plumbing and components.
- For solar PV, we look for the electrics board's age, ability and
access routes. The age of some electric boards and wires may require
updating to modern safety standards, with route access for additional
wiring and components.
- Health and safety issues for the installers.
We can overcome most of these issues in 99% of cases.
Cup of tea (optional)
Deciding on the type of installation can be daunting, so once we have
the correct information at hand, we can sit down with you and present
your options regarding the type of technology open to you, including
sizing and performance for your geographical location.
With many varying options, come many varying price structures. A fair
and affordable quote will then be presented to you.
No nonsense, no pressure
We hate high pressure sales people, so our surveyor will leave you
with possible options with quotes to help you make a choice in your
own good time.
Good quality, good prices and great customer service are our sales
Receive a variety of installation quotes for your particular property.